Entrepreneurial Ideas Born Of The Covid- 19 Pandemic
Entrepreneurial ideas and remote work from home jobs have been increasing over the past few years even before the Covid- 19 pandemic. Since 2005 remote work has increased 160%. In 2018, 3.6% of U.S. workers worked remotely at least half the time according to FlexJobs. When Covid hit all of a sudden 51% of employed Americans were forced to work from home due to government restrictions and guidelines as a result of the pandemic.
The Pandemic has unfortunately caused the shutdowns of many businesses both temporarily and permanently. Some businesses such as small restaurants are getting by with government backed PPP loans and skeleton crews. These companies have had to adapt to the changing business climate and restrictions. This has opened the door to savvy entrepreneurs to create new business opportunities to earn a living. As well as entrepreneurial ideas to help existing businesses stay afloat. Such as offering food delivery services for struggling restaurants.
Remote Work May Be Here To Stay
The Pandemic has forced many companies to adopt a remote work from home workforce. For some of these companies, remote work has turned out to be an interesting prospect. Several big businesses plan to let their staff work from home after the pandemic, permanently. Indeed and Google extended their work at home policies to Summer 2021. Both plan to include remote work indefinitely.
American Express and Microsoft have also extended their work from home policies. Microsoft plans to reopen offices in January 2021 but will allow some workers to work from home permanently as of October 9. All employees will be allowed to work from home partially (less than 50% of the time) without approval.
In August, Airbnb extended its work from home policy until the end of August 2021. They are offering a $500 stipend to employees for home office equipment. As many as 50% of Facebook employees could be working remotely in the next 5- 10 years according to Mark Zuckerberg.
Twitter Will Allow Some To Work Remotely Forever
Twitter will continue to allow some of its workforce to work remotely forever if they desire. They have said the experience of working from home for the past several months have shown that they can produce results of 100%.
Square also plans to allow staff members to work from home once the pandemic ends. Square wants employees to work where they want in an environment that suits them. “Moving forward, Squares will be able to work from home permanently, even once offices begin to reopen”. According to a company spokesperson.
In April, Zillow CEO Rich Barton announced plans to work from home through the end of 2020. Since then, the company announced it would offer employees the ability to work from home permanently. Japanese giant Hitachi has committed to have 70% of its workforce to work from home remotely.
Nationwide Insurance announced it plans to downsize from 20 company offices to just 4 after the pandemic. The majority of the companies employees will work from home permanently.
Open To Entrepreneurial Ideas
With all the “stay at home orders”, social distancing guidelines and other restrictions the Pandemic has caused. One positive that it helped develop is the opportunities for entrepreneurial minds to start new businesses. Some were developed out of the need to work with and help existing businesses survive, some out of entrepreneurial ideas with opportune timing and others from pure necessity to earn an income. Here are popular work from home businesses created by entrepreneurial minds.
- Food Delivery – Restaurants around the nation are struggling or shutting down like crazy due to the pandemic guidelines and restrictions. Offering to deliver their food to customers can increase their revenue. AND YOURS TOO!
- Personal Assistant- With all the stay at home orders and social distancing guidelines. Lots of people are staying safe at home as much as possible. Many people would love to have a Personal Assistant to run errands for them outside the home.
- Social Media Manager- Online activity has picked up during the pandemic. Many people are trying their hand at some form of online activity. Social Media Marketing can have a big impact on getting the word out and advertising your new business to the world. Offering your services as a Social Media Manager can be a successful venture. Offer your services on sites such as Fiverr and Upwork.
- Digital Marketer- There are many opportunities to become a Digital Marketer. You can sell almost anything and everything online. Ebay, Amazon and Shopify are just a few of the ways you can earn an income online.
- Blogging- With the extra time spent at home, it is such an opportune time to start a blog. If you ever wanted to start a blog, now is a great time to do it. Pick a subject you are passionate about or at least have considerable knowledge of. Create a website and start blogging. It can take a few months or more, but if your blog has good web traffic. You can earn a good income from advertising links. If you want to learn how to create a solid blog foundation and website to earn money. The answer is simple. Get this ebook. You will become a Pro Blogger in no time.
- Online Advertising- Businesses are hurting for customers or shooting for a specific niche of customers due to the pandemic. Offer online advertising services. Create professional campaign examples and approach select businesses or advertise your services online.
- Freelance Writing- The opportunity for Freelance Writing work is bigger than ever. If you like to write opportunities are available for Freelance Writers to get work writing catchy advertisements for businesses and articles for a set fee type of work. There literally is a lot of writing gigs available for Freelancers. Check out HIREWRITERS.com and iWriter to get paid to write articles.
- General Delivery Service- Offer general delivery services in your area. You may be surprised at the business it creates!
- Web Developer- Do you have skills as a Website Developer? Offer your services to help new or expanding Digital Marketers create new websites. Advertise your services on sites such as Upwork and Fiverr.
- Consultant- Do you have expertise in a specific subject? If so, offer consulting services with your special knowledge.
It’s been a wild ride with the Covid- 19 Pandemic going around. There has been many unfortunate and tragic events that have occurred because of it. We just need to keep on doing our best and try to adapt to the “new norm” that has been born. Bring out the entrepreneurial spirit in you and those around you to try and create a new source of income and career opportunity. Help each other stay strong and be safe.