What makes a great place to retire? Housing costs, access to great health care and quality of life matter most in retirement. Great weather and an active lifestyle matter too. There are many great places that are suited better for retirement than others. Now, let’s go over the best places to retire in America.
Top 10 Best Places To Retire In America
10. Casper, Wyoming
- Median home price- $207,400
- Population- 58,763
- Population aged 65 and older- 9.8%
- Average annual rainfall- 2 inches
- Crime rate 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)- Violent: 11.2 Property: 42.2
- Activities- Fishing, boating, kayaking, sightseeing, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, biking
World Class outdoor recreational opportunities await you in Casper, Wyoming. The National Historic Trails Center feature interactive displays of the colorful journeys of its early pioneers of the 1800s. Downtown Casper is full of rich historical places and museums. With friendly, local Artists. Helping it break the top 10 best places to retire in America list. Wyoming also has an added benefit of no income tax.
9. Dallas, Texas
- Median home price- $389,000
- Population- 1,347,120
- Population aged 65 and older- 10.8%
- Average annual rainfall- 37 inches
- Crime rate 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)- Violent: 37 Property: 50.7
- Activities- Boating, biking, hiking, fishing, rodeos, golfing, horse trail rides
Dallas is full of history. You will find multiple artsy and wonderful museums with huge collections of artwork. Restaurants are galore with great steakhouses at the forefront.
Tex-Mex and seafood restaurants with award-winning menus are also in the lineup. You can also go on one of the many tours available such as cultural, historical, architecture, movie, even ghost and vampire tours! Texas also has the benefit of no income tax
8. Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- Median home price- $224,900
- Population- 58,981
- Population aged 65 and older- 12.6%
- Average annual rainfall- 43 inches
- Crime rate 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)- Violent: 41.3 Property: 54.1
- Activities- Golf, kayaking, biking, hiking, fishing, horse and buggy tours
Lancaster is home of the Demuth Museum, named after the nationally recognized painter Charles Demuth. With a strong history in the arts. It is full of museums including the Lancaster Museum Of Art and the Philips Museum.
Lancaster also has a history rich in theater and music. The Fulton Opera House is one of the oldest theaters in the country. The Lancaster Symphony Orchestra has been holding performances since 1947.
7. Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Median home price- $399,900
- Population- 117,082
- Population aged 65 and older- 9.6%
- Average annual rainfall- 36 inches
- Crime rate 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)- Violent: 45.6 Property: 59.2
- Activities- University of Michigan football games in the “Big House”. Their stadium that holds over 100,000 fans. Kayaking the Huron River, fishing, canoeing.
Founded in 1879, the University Musical Society is a performing arts organization that holds over 50 events each year. They attract and bring in international music, theater and dance artists. Anne arbors local non-university performing arts groups include the Arbor Opera Theater, the Anne Arbor Civic Theatre, the Anne Arbor Civic Ballet, the Performance Network Theatre and more.
6. Port St. Lucie, Florida
- Median home price- $218,900
- Population- 201,846
- Population aged 65 and older- 18.8%
- Average annual rainfall- 58 inches
- Crime rate 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)- Violent: 9.1 Property: 22.3
- Activities- Water skiing, boat tours, fishing, hiking, jet-skiing, railroad club and much more.
Port St. Lucie is a great place to retire for the active retiree who loves the outdoors. There’s environmental preserves for hiking, ride horses on the beaches, boating, fishing, kayak the many rivers, play golf, etc. Florida also has no income tax requirement.
5. Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Median home price- $199,300
- Population- 250,765
- Population aged 65 and older- 14.6%
- Average annual rainfall- 45 inches
- Crime rate 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)- Violent: 48 Property: 59
- Activities- Golf, fishing and paddleboating at Tanglewood Recreational Park. Hiking and biking Salem Lake Road. Biking or jogging Muddy Creek Greenway.
The University of North Carolina School of Arts– highlights the community love of performing arts. Jada Pinkett Smith attended here before pursuing her career in acting. If you like to eat. Winston-Salem is busy with food and festivals year-round with a multi-national influence of foods. Such as southern bbq, seafood and Greek pastries.
4. Sarasota, Florida
- Median home price- $359,900
- Population- 59,363
- Population aged 65 and older- 29.6%
- Average annual rainfall- 56 inches
- Crime rate 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)- Violent: 26.9 Property: 59.8
- Activities- Kayaking, canoeing, hiking, biking and fishing at the 58 square mile Myakka River State Park, hunt for seashells at Lido Beach, golfing at one of Sarasota’s many golf courses.
3. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Median home price- $205,000
- Population- 36,459
- Population aged 65 and older- 21%
- Average annual rainfall- 52 inches
- Crime rate 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)- Violent: 43 Property: 59
- Activities- Enjoy fun days at the beach swimming, fishing and surfing. Myrtle Beach has more than 60 miles of coastline. Enjoy southern hospitality and amazing natural wonders.
Myrtle Beach has lots for all to see and enjoy. Making it one of the best places to retire. If you like the performance arts, enjoy fantastic shows at the GTS Theatre, the Big Top Tent (home of LeGrand Cirque), Alabama Theatre and don’t forget the Carolina Opry. As well as close to 700 fine art events throughout the year!
2. Fort Myers, Florida
- Median home price- $274,999
- Population- 96,851
- Population aged 65 and older- 14.3
- Average annual rainfall- 54 inches
- Crime rate 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)- Violent: 53.8 Property: 43.9
- Activities- Sunset sailing and water tours, kayak tours, comedy shows, 4wd tours, Everglades family adventure tours, train rides and biking at Lakes Regional Park, canoe paddling at Bunche Beach.
A water lovers wonderland, Fort Myers offers 50 miles of gorgeous white sand beaches, tropical islands and exotic wildlife. This family friendly area with award winning beaches will leave you coming back for more.
Have fun at The Lakes Regional Park. Biking, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, bird watching. 279 acres of family fun with its own 1.5 mile railroad ride around the lake. Kids will also love the rock climbing wall, water features and playground.
1. Naples, Florida
- Median home price- $382,000
- Population- 22,206
- Population aged 65 and older- 52.4%
- Average annual rainfall- 54 inches
- Crime rate 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)- Violent: 9 Property: 34.4
- Activities- Sunset boat tours, sailing, airboat tours, whale watching, golfing, jet skiing, kayaking, fishing etc.
A great place to retire for an active lifestyle. Helping it reach the top of the best places to retire in America list. The Ten Thousand Islands in Everglade National Park has over 35,000 acres of fun in the sun! Perfect for wildlife viewing, fishing, kayaking and boating. Enjoy the many popular art museums and galleries. Take a fun cruise on one of Naples’s many boat tours.